top of page

Crime Victim Assistance Programs (CVAP)

South Okanagan Counselling offers fully funded counselling sessions for individuals who have been approved by CVAP.

As a victim of crime, you may be affected by a crime in many ways:


Emotionally – You may be emotionally hurt or feel violated, fearful or vulnerable. You may feel sad, angry and helpless and fear these emotions affect your life unexpectedly.


Physically – You may be physically injured or experiencing physiological reactions to stress.


Financially –You may have loss of income or related expenses.


The CVAP program offers funding for counselling services to deal with the emotional effects of the crime.


For more information on the CVAP program, visit the website here or call the Victim Assistance Service.


Service Victim’s Assistance Services

● 604-660-3888 ● 1-866-660-3888 (toll free)


To apply through the online application visit here.

Métis Nation Counselling Connect Program

The goal of this program is to help Métis Citizens by offering to support them in their mental wellness journey.

Who is the program for? The program is for all Métis Citizens, for all ages.


How many counselling sessions are covered? The program covers the expense of up to ten 60-minute counselling sessions.


How do I apply? You can apply here. Applicants will be prompted to respond to a declaration of truth and consent.


On approval, applicants will receive an emailed letter generated from the MNBC MCC Program Portal. You can bring this letter to your counsellor when booking your first session.


Do I need to pay anything out of pocket? SOC works with MNBC to arrange for direct billing, so applicants won’t be required to pay out of pocket.

Holding Hands

Low Cost Counselling Program

We understand the cost of therapy is not an option for many people.

The low-cost program allows South Okanagan Counselling to offer an affordable therapy service to the community.


This program is offered as a practicum site for counsellors who are completing their Masters of Counselling.


They are supervised weekly by Dr. Christopher Kinman, and clients are welcome both online and in-person in our Penticton office.


Session Fees

Individual Counselling Session - 50 minutes - $50

Couples / Family Session - 50 minutes $70


At South Okanagan Counselling, we believe that cost should not be a barrier to healing. If the fees above feel too much, please reach out, and we will do our best to help with your therapy journey.


Other low-cost local programs:


Interior Health - Counselling and Treatment


Services SMART Recovery - Van Hill

Ph:250 300 5222


Pathways Central Okanagan


OneSky Community Resources


Access Centre Penticton - Rise Program​

Saje Mental Health Programs




Our Services: Services

SAJE Mental Health Program

What is SAJE?

SAJE is a program provided by the government of British Columbia to young people who are receiving care from the government and/or are transitioning out of care provided by the government. SAJE is an acronym that stands for Strengthening Abilities and Journeys of Empowerment.

What is the SAJE Mental Health Counselling Benefit?

Those who participate in the SAJE program may have access to a Mental Health Counselling Benefit of $1500 per calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31). Eligibility for this program includes receiving care through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) or an Indigenous Child and Family Service Agency (ICFSA) and being enrolled in the Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program, and having a Temporary Support Agreement (TSA), or holding a Temporary Housing Agreement (THA).

The counselling categories approved under this program include regulated or registered services, evidence-based/informed therapeutic services, and/or cultural healing services. Regulated or registered services include clinical counsellors, social workers, and psychologists. Furthermore, music therapists (among others) are the unregulated professionals approved by the program to offer evidence-informed treatments. Happily, South Okanagan Counselling has clinical counsellors and social workers who are eligible to provide counselling to individuals accessing this plan. Our associates use evidence-based treatments such as cognitive behavioural therapy, among others. Counselling can help with addressing trauma and mental and emotional health and well-being.

How Do I Proceed?

1. You can book a consultation through our online booking system here, email, or call 250-487-9119. South Okanagan Counselling will ensure that you are matched with a clinical counsellor or social worker that best fits your needs and concerns.

2. You will then need to complete a Request for SAJE Mental Health and Counselling Benefits Form.


3. Before your first session with one of our counsellors or social workers, please wait until you receive notice that they have been approved by SAJE as your provider. If they are approved, you will receive a benefit letter detailing information about your benefit.


4. South Okanagan Counselling will invoice directly to SPSS so that you don’t need to pay out of pocket.

Please see this document for more information.

For more information and to inquire about accessing this benefit, you can contact a SAJE Guide, an MCFD worker, Indigenous Child and Family Service Agency (ICFSA) worker, or MCFD’s SAJE Provincial Support Services (SPSS) at or 1-866-623-3001.

What else can SAJE do for me?

Participants of SAJE may have access to dental and optical benefits, housing supports, and the Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program. Please see this link for more information.

Additionally, as described on the government website, SAJE offers Life-skills, Training and Cultural Connections Funding. This program is available to young adults in the Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program and is $5,500 per year (up to $11,000 overall). Participants can begin to access this benefit at age 19 and continue to use this benefit until age 27 (subject to the $11,000 overall  limit). Participants must dedicate a minimum of 5-hours per week to their life-skills program or dedicate at least 5-hours per week to a combination of educational, vocational, and/or rehabilitative programming alongside a life-skills program. For more information and to inquire about applying for this benefit, you can contact a SAJE Guide, an MCFD worker, Indigenous Child and Family Service Agency (ICFSA) worker or MCFD’s SAJE Provincial Support Services (SPSS) at or 1-866-623-3001.


Thousands of British Columbians suffer from car accidents every year. Since 2019, ICBC now provides pre-approved benefits to those who have suffered a vehicle accident, no matter whether they are at fault or not. This benefit is available to you if you are a resident of British Columbia, even if the accident occurred elsewhere in North America. Also, many cyclists or pedestrians that are injured in a crash with a vehicle are eligible to receive the same range of recovery benefits.

When should I seek treatment?

ICBC’s predetermined benefits are pre-approved during the first 12 weeks post-accident. This is why it’s important to seek out treatment as soon as possible after your date of accident. No doctor’s referral is required.

What are the benefits?

These benefits may include 25 treatments from a physiotherapist or chiropractor and 12 treatments from a registered massage therapist or psychologist. ICBC’s pre-approved treatment benefits also include 12 50-minute sessions with a clinical counsellor. South Okanagan Counselling has clinical counsellors that are able to provide treatment if you have suffered a vehicle-related accident. We also bill directly to ICBC so there is no need for you to pay out of pocket.

Why counselling?

Counselling is helpful for survivors of vehicle-related accidents because many people who survive accidents experience post-accident anxiety and PTSD/trauma-related symptoms. These symptoms may include fear of driving, panic attacks, racing heartbeat, flashbacks, nightmares, fatigue, forgetfulness, and/or irritability. Counselling can help you process the traumatic event, helping to reduce your symptoms and increase your ability to function in day to day life.

Just 12 sessions?

While the treatment package begins at 12 sessions, you may be eligible for further treatment should your treatment needs extend beyond 12 weeks and your doctor is able to communicate this to ICBC. You will need to communicate your extended needs to your ICBC recovery specialist and complete an authorization to provide medical information form for your doctor. 

What do I need to do?

1. Report a claim to ICBC. See this link. See the ICBC website for more information about their benefit program.

2. Follow ICBC’s guidance as to how to access your ICBC claim number, etc.


3. Book a consultation with South Okanagan Counselling. We will match you with a counsellor that best fits your needs.


4. Attend your first session where your clinical counsellor will co-create a treatment plan with you.


5. South Okanagan Counselling will bill directly to ICBC, so you need not pay out of pocket.


6. Attend for 12 weeks, for a total of 12 sessions.


7. Should you require more than 12 sessions, reach out to your ICBC recovery specialist, see your doctor, and have your doctor sign the authorization to provide medical information form


Can counselling help me find and secure a job?

The short answer is yes! South Okanagan Counselling is currently partnering with WorkBC to offer employment counselling.

What is employment counselling?

Employment counselling will look a little different for everyone but could include problem-solving barriers to employment, skill building (e.g., for employment opportunity searching, drafting and editing a resume), clarifying your values, goal setting, supporting occupation selection, career planning and development, connecting you with other local and regional career support programming, developing job sustainment skills, and more!

I’m interested! What’s next?

The first step is to reach out to WorkBC to apply for employment counselling. Once approved, you can book a consultation with us at South Okanagan Counselling and we will match you with a counsellor who will best fit your employment counselling needs!  We look forward to hearing from you.

Please visit for more information.


Working from Home

Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)

Are you currently employed and facing stress, burnout, life transitions, low self-esteem, general anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, low mood, and more?

Your employer’s employee assistance program (EAP) may be able to help. EAPs often include short-term counselling benefits that can support you by providing tools and a safe space to process in order to help  you start feeling and functioning more like yourself again. Ask your employer if they offer an EAP (e.g., LifeWorks) or, reach out to your EAP as directed by your employer if you already know that an EAP is available to you.

Does South Okanagan Counselling partner with EAPs?

Yes we do!

What’s my Next Step?

Reach out to us via email (, phone (250-486-3008), or you can book a consultation with us online. We will match you with a counsellor that contracts with your EAP and best fits your needs.  

Extended Health Benefits

Do you have extended health benefits that include counselling?

South Okanagan Counselling has Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCCs), Canadian Certified Counsellors (CCCs), and Registered Social Workers (RSWs) who provide counselling that can be claimed through your benefit provider.

Which Extended Health Benefit Providers Does South Okanagan Counselling Work With?

We are currently working with SunLife, Manulife, Green Shield Canada, Canada Life, Pacific Blue Cross, Desjardins Group, and more! Don’t see your EAP listed here? You still may be able to find coverage for sessions if your plan includes clinical counsellors (RCCs/CCCs) and/or social workers (RSWs). 

Okay! What Should I Do Next?

The first step is to check with your extended health benefits provider to see which services they cover. For example, if they just cover registered social workers, we would match you with a registered social worker on our team. If they just cover clinical counsellors, we would match you with a clinical counsellor to ensure that you can claim your sessions. Once you know what kind of provider your health benefits cover, reach out to us via email at (, phone (250-486-3008), or book a consultation online and we will find a counsellor to best suit your needs!


Insurance Agent

First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)

What counselling benefits does FNHA offer?

First Nations Health Authority offers four counselling programs.

The Mental Wellness and Counselling Program is available for those with a status number. This program is designed to support those seeking to resolve emotional distress and increase their sense of well-being. 

The other three programs are available to those with and without a status number who are impacted by cultural genocide in Canada.

The Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP) is available for those who are a former student, or are a family member of a former student, who attended an Indian Residential School listed in the 2006 Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement.

The Indian Day Schools Health Support Services (IDS HSS) program is available for former students, or family members of a former student, who attended an Indian Day School. 

The Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Health Support Services (MMIWG HSS) program is a national program available for survivors, family members, and others affected by the issue of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls in Canada.

Is In-Person and Virtual Counselling Covered?

Yes, both in-person and virtual sessions are covered. If you need assistance with transportation to in-person counselling, please email or phone 1-855-550-5454.

Does South Okanagan Counselling have Counsellors who can Provide Counselling Under This Benefit?

Yes we do!

Is Counselling Culturally Safe?

Counsellors who are offering services through FNHA programming have received training in cultural safety from Indigenous knowledge-keepers. Our counsellors at South Okanagan Counselling are committed to embodying and continually pursuing cultural humility and safety.

I’m Interested. What Happens Next?

1. Please reach out to us via email at, phone (250-486-3008), or book a consultation online. Let us know that you are eligible to receive funding through FNHA.

2. We will match you with a culturally safe counsellor who best fits your needs.


3. We will submit a request for your funding to be approved through FNHA.

4. We will direct bill to FNHA so that you don’t have

to pay out of pocket.

For more information, please visit the official FNHA webpage at or call 1-855-550-5454.   

bottom of page